Hello, fellow travelers and adventure-seekers! As a Zimbabwean native, who proudly calls Harare home, I am thrilled to share with you my personal guide to the top 20 things to do in Harare, one of the most vibrant African cities. Having spent several years exploring several parts of my beloved hometown, I’ve uncovered a treasure trove of unique experiences that showcase the very best of Harare’s culture, history, and natural beauty.
Harare is a city of contrasts, where modern skyscrapers stand side by side with colonial-era buildings, and bustling markets coexist with tranquil parks. This harmonious blend of old and new creates a dynamic urban landscape that invites exploration and discovery. As the capital of Zimbabwe, Harare serves as the country’s cultural, political, and economic hub, offering a fascinating glimpse into the diverse and ever-evolving spirit of Zimbabwe.
In this blog post, I will guide you through a diverse array of experiences that capture the essence of Harare. From the captivating exhibits at the National Gallery of Zimbabwe to the peaceful retreat of the Harare Gardens, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Discover the city’s rich history at the National Museum and Archives, or immerse yourself in the local arts scene with a visit to one of Harare’s many performing arts venues.
The city has had remarkable transformation over the years and evolved from a quiet colonial town to the bustling metropolis it is today, while still retaining its unique charm and character. Harare, also nicknamed the Sunshine City has a variety of fun things you can do in the city, whether you are a local or visiting tourist.
This city has shaped me as a person, and I am excited to embark with you on a journey through the city’s hidden gems, iconic landmarks, and unforgettable experiences, showcasing the incredible diversity and vibrant energy that make Harare the beating heart of Zimbabwe. So, strap on your walking shoes, grab your camera, and get ready to discover the top 30 fun things to do in the captivating city of Harare!
30 Fun Things To Do In Zimbabwe
- Visit the National Gallery of Zimbabwe: Explore Zimbabwe’s rich art and culture through contemporary and traditional exhibitions.
- Stroll through the Harare Gardens: Enjoy the peaceful green oasis at the heart of the city, perfect for a leisurely walk or picnic.
- Discover the National Museum and Archives: Learn about Zimbabwe’s history, culture, and natural heritage through a vast collection of artifacts and documents.
- Explore the Mukuvisi Woodlands: Take a guided walking or horseback tour to observe wildlife such as giraffes, zebras, and impalas in this urban nature reserve.
- Shop at Avondale Flea Market: Browse through unique crafts, artwork, and souvenirs at this vibrant local market.
- Visit the National Heroes’ Acre: Pay your respects at this national monument dedicated to Zimbabwe’s fallen heroes and liberation struggle.
- Tour the Presidential Palace: Discover the official residence of Zimbabwe’s President and its beautiful gardens.
- Go golfing at Royal Harare Golf Club: Tee off at one of Zimbabwe’s most prestigious golf courses, designed by the renowned architect Peter Matkovich.
- Stroll along Samora Machel Avenue: Explore the city’s main thoroughfare, lined with historic buildings, shops, and restaurants.
- Visit the Domboshava Caves: Venture just outside Harare to explore these ancient caves, featuring fascinating rock formations and prehistoric rock art.
- Explore Epworth Balancing Rocks: Marvel at the unique geological formations and the stunning landscape in this natural attraction.
- Enjoy a meal at Amanzi Restaurant: Savor delicious fusion cuisine in an elegant setting, surrounded by lush gardens and African art.
- Visit Thetford Game Reserve: Embark on a game drive to spot a variety of wildlife species, including rhinos, giraffes, and antelopes.
- Watch a performance at Reps Theatre: Catch a play or musical at one of Harare’s leading performing arts venues.
- Go birdwatching at Monavale Vlei: Discover a wide variety of bird species at this important wetland site, perfect for birdwatching enthusiasts.
- Visit the Tobacco Auction Floors: Gain insight into Zimbabwe’s tobacco industry by attending an auction at one of the world’s largest tobacco auction facilities.
- Wander through the National Botanic Gardens: Admire the diverse plant life and enjoy a peaceful retreat from the bustling city.
- Enjoy the nightlife in Borrowdale: Experience Harare’s vibrant nightlife scene, with bars, clubs, and live music venues.
- Visit the Zimbabwe Military Museum: Discover Zimbabwe’s military history and see an impressive collection of military equipment and memorabilia.
- Take a day trip to Lake Chivero: Just a short drive from Harare, enjoy a day of fishing, boating, and birdwatching at this scenic lake.
- Visit the Chapungu Sculpture Park: Explore this outdoor gallery showcasing impressive stone sculptures crafted by Zimbabwean artists, set amid a beautiful, tranquil garden setting.
- Attend a cricket match at Harare Sports Club: Experience the excitement of a live cricket match in the city’s premier sports venue.
- Take a walking tour of the city: Join a guided walking tour to discover Harare’s historical landmarks, architecture, and hidden gems while learning about its rich history.
- Shop at the Borrowdale Village Walk: Enjoy an upscale shopping experience at this modern shopping center, featuring international and local boutiques, restaurants, and cafes.
- Explore the Queen Victoria Museum: Dive into the history of Harare and the life of its namesake, Queen Victoria, through artifacts, photographs, and exhibits.
- Participate in a cultural cooking class: Join a local cooking class to learn about Zimbabwean cuisine and culture, and prepare traditional dishes using local ingredients.
- Visit the Lion and Cheetah Park: Get up close and personal with lions, cheetahs, and other wildlife at this popular park, located just outside Harare.
- Explore the Shona Sculpture Gallery: Discover beautiful Shona stone sculptures crafted by local artists, showcasing their talent and unique artistic styles.
- Go horseback riding in the countryside: Embark on a guided horseback ride through the scenic countryside surrounding Harare, enjoying beautiful views and spotting local wildlife.
- Attend a live music performance: Immerse yourself in Zimbabwe’s vibrant music scene by attending a live performance at one of the city’s popular music venues or cultural centers.
As we reach the end of our exhilarating journey through the top 20 things to do in Harare, I hope that my personal experiences and insights as a Zimbabwean native have ignited your passion for exploring this vibrant city. As a Harare native, I have had the privilege of witnessing the city’s transformation over the years and have come to appreciate the diverse range of experiences that it offers. From the city’s rich cultural heritage to its thriving arts scene, Harare truly has something for everyone.
Throughout our journey, we have explored Harare’s iconic landmarks, such as the National Gallery of Zimbabwe and the National Museum and Archives, which provide a window into the city’s fascinating history and artistic traditions. We have also ventured off the beaten path to discover hidden gems like the Mukuvisi Woodlands, where urban dwellers can find a peaceful retreat amidst the city’s hustle and bustle.
Harare’s unique charm lies in its ability to seamlessly blend the old with the new, creating a dynamic urban landscape that offers both the comforts of modernity and the allure of tradition. As a Harare native, I am proud to call this city my home, and I am delighted to share my passion for its diverse attractions and experiences with you.
As you continue your own journey through Harare, I encourage you to explore the city with an open mind and a spirit of adventure. Remember that the true essence of Harare lies not only in its landmarks and attractions but also in its people. The warmth and hospitality of the Zimbabwean people are evident in every corner of the city, making Harare a welcoming and engaging destination for all who visit.
In conclusion, my dear fellow travelers, I hope that my personal guide to the top 20 things to do in Harare has inspired you to delve deeper into the heart of this incredible city. As a proud Zimbabwean native, I am thrilled to share the wonders of my hometown with you, and I am confident that your own journey through Harare will be filled with unforgettable experiences and cherished memories.
So, as you set off to explore the captivating city of Harare, I wish you safe travels, extraordinary adventures, and a lifetime of incredible memories. Welcome to Harare, the vibrant heart of Zimbabwe!